Saturday, September 11, 2010

Truffle-W.I.P (Work in Progress)

The unassuming black fungus
It's been two months when Perth Foodie had fun drinking and eating at Perth Good Food & Wine Show, and of course some of us bought ourselves a piece of truffle, trying to experiment with this aromatic fungus at home. Most of them cooked with it straight away once they got it, but for me I tried to freeze it and bring it back to Malaysia, where my family members could try it.  

This piece of truffle that I bought weigh 15grms and it cost me $30, it's so tiny that you don't really want to use it. Anyway, I tried freezing it in hope that it will taste the same after 2 months of harvesting. After 5.5hours of flying plus a few hours extra for airport check-in and check-out, the first thing I did when I got home was to check it out. To my horror, it was completely thawed, wet and soft, I wasn't sure if it's ok but let's just hope. (Notice the white line through the truffle are not there anymore, now it looks like a piece of black shit!)

Infuse with some local eggs
I tried to infuse this little piece of gold 2 days ago in a container together with 5 local eggs, due to local hot and humid weather, I had to put it into the fridge. I'm planning to make some scrambled eggs and truffle & mushroom risotto when I have a chance.

Hair-boiled egg with truffle

However, before jumping into cooking up a storm, I tried shaving tiny bits onto my hard-boiled egg for the moment and let my parents to try. Their expression was funny though, because they can't seems to taste the exquisite flavour!

1 comment:

Conor @ Hold the Beef said...

Piece of black shit or not, I'm looking forward to seeing what you create with it!